We are proud to announce that Social Security Rights Victoria Inc. (‘SSRV’) and Financial and Consumer Rights Council Inc. (‘FCRC’) have established a partnership to design, implement and evaluate an integrated service bringing together social security law specialists and financial counsellors. The overarching objective of this project is to enable financial counsellors and social security rights experts to work together more effectively to improve client outcomes. The project will build the capability of financial counsellors and community lawyers to identify and respond to social security law and related issues. Activities of the project will include:
• Dedicated resourcing within SSRV to assist and work with financial counsellors who are assisting clients with Centrelink issues;
• Training and professional development for SSRV staff regarding financial counselling services to improve integrated service provision and referrals;
• Training and professional development for financial counsellors regarding social security law and Centrelink issues;
• Relationship building between social security experts and financial counsellors across Victoria; and,
• Identifying and addressing relevant systemic issues facing clients, primarily through the FCRC Centrelink Working Group.
The project is funded by the Victorian Government Department of Justice and Community Safety for one year, with this funding administered by the Federation of Community Legal Centres. As a core part of this project is providing information and support to finanical counsellors via the SSRV. The number for the Workers Help Line is (03) 9481 0355 with the line open Mon-Thurs 9am-5pm.
The primary project officers are SSRV staff Bryn Overend (community lawyer) and Leanne Khan (financial counsellor). If you want to know more about this project, call SSRV on 03 9481 0299.